*Update: this is an update to the original internet pop culture post*
My pop culture is the internet. I love its news and information. I enjoy watching its tv channels and free movies. I do my research, I attend school, and I hang out with my friends.
The internet enhances my life in so many ways. Read on for my favorites of internet pop culture.
First, lets start off with the current slang.
- Common terms for the internet are: internets, interweb, and intertron.
- Abbreviations: ur, omw (on my way), OH (overhead), RT (retweet), btw (by the way)
- Plurality everywhere: jut add “s” to everything, srsly do it, its fun
- Making up words: like i told a friend the other night, i pretty much mastered the english language 15 years ago, now its time to have some fun with it
- 80s are back: rad, my favorite word
- Meme: means something that is hot on the intertron
Next, my top sites. Pulled from the newest version of Firefox (FF3) which captures that data for you:
- Concord (my online law school)
- Google Finance
- My Life (this site)
- E-Trade (my bank)
Now, here is how I get my news. My favorite tech news site in the whole world, techmeme. I check it pretty much everyday, multiple times a day. It has a magical algorithm, popularized by google news, that finds popular items through links and then pulls them together. On any given day you can find the best story on a hot new topic as well as the next best articles and all the discusison around them. Truly a cool agreggator of news, much better than RSS in my time starved day.
Seems kinda lacking doesn’t it? That is because I get my information from twitter. As of today, Oct 19, I am following 394 people. Except some of them aren’t people they are direct news feeds delivered to me, wherever I am (home, on the go). Then there are my several hundred friends who constantly post the latest news. They select it for me, they are my filter and my RSS feed.
So far its working out really well. I get what I want and my scope is constantly expanded (thx twitter friendses).
Finally, and most importantly, my tv/movies. If you haven’t heard, hulu, is the hottest tv site on the internet. It has free shows/movies/cips. There are commercials but just one and if its a long episode then it’s one every 5-10 minutes. Lately, I have watched:
- TV: Heroes (season 3), Burn Notice (all seasons), and House.
- Movie: Groundhog Day, Karate Kid trilogy (go 80’s!), Sleepless in Seattle, Spy Game, and Men in Black.
- Clips: SNL (saturday night live), Colbert Report, Jon Stewart, Sesame Street.
Well, that’s not everything. I know I left out large sections of the poppy culture but I hope anyone reading this can comment on the stuff I forgot. Thx!